Sunday, May 12, 2013

Grandmother's Flower Garden

In our family, Grandmother Ruth was the seamstress, and her Singer Featherweight was her prize possession.  She passed along her knowledge and love of the craft by teaching us all to sew.  In honor of Mothers Day, we thought we would share our photos of vintage Grandmother's Flower Garden quilts from the 2013 Arizona Quilters Guild show. These beauties remind us of Grandmother, and of days gone by.

close up, Antique 1930’s Garden quilt exhibited by Lynn Kough, 2013 AZQG


Antique 1930’s Garden quilt exhibited by Lynn Kough, 2013 AZQG



Vintage Grandmother’s Flower Garden quilt exhibited by Marge Imperatrice, 2013 AZQG


Antique Diamond-Set Garden quilt exhibited by Beverly Hawkins, 2013 AZQG


close up, Antique Diamond-Set Garden quilt exhibited by Beverly Hawkins



Antique Grandmother’s Garden quilt exhibited by Alicia French, 2013 AZQG


close up, Antique Grandmother’s Garden quilt exhibited by Alicia French


Vintage Color-pop Garden quilt exhibited by Vicki Calahan, 2013 AZQG


close up, Vintage Color-pop Garden quilt exhibited by Vicki Calahan, 2013 AZQG


close up, Vintage Color-pop Garden quilt exhibited by Vicki Calahan, 2013 AZQG


Vintage Turquoise Garden quilt top exhibited by Daniele Tanner, 2013 AZQG


Vintage Green Garden Border quilt exhibited by Cynthia Lynn, 2013 AZQG


 Image credits: Photos were taken by Quilt Inspiration.

8 comments:

  1. A very appropriate show! There are a bunch of us in Blogland working on hexies right now. I'm making pink with yellow centers... singles and they'll have lime green "leaves as the background. (Don't know if I'll make a quilt, though. Maybe just a dolly quilt or a baby girl to be quilt.
    Anyway, thanks for the inspiration!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. This month I`ve stared to play with hexies,hope to do a rainbow quilt with all my scraps.Thanks for the show!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathtaking quilts - so beautiful ! thanks for the picture inspiration
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a trip through time! I saw so many fabrics that were familiar to me ... and probably a few I still have in one of my boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are lovely... I have a Grandmothers Flower Garden given to me by my stepmother about 20 years ago. It was made by her mother probably sometime in the 30's. Another quilt (a star pattern) done around the same time has a tiny label that says "Bayswater Do Your Bit Club". I'd love to know more about that but have never found any information. Love the quilts, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all lovely. Want to try that, but sadly I can't, I don't know how to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your collection. I'm currently starting year two on my own creation & needed info about how these are traditionally quilted & about if & how they are bound. I'll be doing 1/4 inch around each hexie & will bind but haven't decided in which color to bind. That decision is probably still another year down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started my hex quilt about 8 years ago and set it aside. I decided a month ago to get it finished and i basically have just then green separating hexagons to do and connect to have the quilt top finished. That’s what I get for not having my aunt ant her mother make me one 40 years ago!

    ReplyDelete

We love reading each and every comment... thanks for visiting our blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails